The Simport Learning App (“App”) collects your location data and saves it on your device. Location data describes your physical location on the earth at a given point in time represented by GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) and a timestamp. If you opt in to sharing your location, we automatically receive data about your precise location. If you opt in to have background location on in the App, we will collect data about your location when you are not using the App and when the App is closed (as permitted by your device settings).
This data never leaves your local device (i.e., phone or tablet) – we do not upload or save the location data collected to a server. All processing is done locally on the device.
The App does not collect any other data.
You are able to write about your experiences or reflect on your data via the notebook option. This is stored locally and could be read by other people with access to your device.
Usage of Your Data
The Simport Learning App has the goal of interactively educating you about location privacy. For that, it collects and saves your location data in a database on your device. The collected location history can be visualized on a map. Additionally, the location history is aggregated to identify places you travel to frequently. Semantic labels such as “Home” and “Workplace” are assigned to these places based on simple heuristics. Additionally, your collected location history is analyzed to present you predictions for the places you are most likely to visit next.
All these processing steps are performed locally on your device.
Legal Basis for Processing of Your Data and Choices
We do not collect or process any data without your consent. When enabling location tracking for the first time, we ask for your consent by granting the App permission to continuously access your location. As the App cannot provide an interactive learning experience without access to your location data, it is not functional without granted location permission. If you do not want the App to collect your location history locally but are still interested in learning about location privacy, you can check out other findings from the project behind this App on our website.
Retention of Data
We do not retain any data about you outside your device. Data collected on your device is stored locally until you a) uninstall the App or b) manually delete your data. To delete your collected location history data manually, select “Explore trajectories” in the main menu. Then, click on the three dots next to the trajectory you want to delete and press “Delete” on the following menu. To delete information you provided in the app’s notebook, click on the entry you want to delete, and press the delete button in the top right indicated by the trash can icon.
Sharing or Disclosure of Information
The Simport Learning App relies on two external services to provide visualizations of the location data collected about you.
First, in order to display your location history on a map, the App uses map tiles provided by CARTO. Map tiles are the background images you see when looking at a map, consisting for example of roads in a city. Requests for map tiles sent by the Simport learning app to CARTO include your device’s IP address as well as the region for which data is requested. Please refer to https://carto.com/privacy/ for information on how CARTO processes this data.
Second, in order to convert a location represented by latitude and longitude into an address (a process known as “reverse geocoding”), the App uses the OpenStreetMap Foundation’s Nominatim service. Reverse geocoding is used in the app to display addresses for locations that inference suggests might be significant in your life. Requests for reverse geocoding sent by the App to Nominatim include your device’s IP address as well as the GPS coordinates of the location for which the address is requested. Please refer to https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_Policy for information on how Nominatim processes this data. To provide some obfuscation, with every real request we include requests for three randomized locations within a radius of five kilometers.
The App does not share or disclose any data with any other party.
Subject to applicable law, you may have a number of rights regarding the processing of your personal data, including:
- Right of access to your personal data and right to portability. This enables you to retrieve a copy of the personal data that we hold about you. To export your collected location history data in JSON format, select “Explore trajectories” in the main menu. Then, click on the three dots next to the trajectory you want to export and press “Export” on the following menu. To export the information you provided in the app’s notebook in text format, click the export button in the top right of the notebook section of the app. Please note that we cannot provide your data to a third party as we do not have access to your local data.
- Right to deletion of your personal data. To delete the location data that this App has collected and stored locally, select “Explore trajectories” in the main menu. Then, click on the three dots next to the trajectory you want to delete and press “Delete” on the following menu. To delete information you provided in the app’s notebook, click on the entry you want to delete, and press the delete button in the top right indicated by the trash can icon.
- Right of correction of the personal data that we hold about you. Please note that we are unable to access any of your data. To modify the data displayed in the App, you may export the data as described above, modify it, and re-import it by selecting “Add your own trajectory” in the main menu.
- Right to stop us processing of your Personal Data. You can stop processing of your data at any point by uninstalling the App.
- Right to object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest. Please note that we do not process any personal data based on legitimate interest.
- Right to withdraw consent at any time. If you withdraw your consent for location access through refuting its permissions, the App will no longer be able to collect your location data and provide new inferences. You can however still view the data collected before consent was withdrawn and the corresponding inferences.
- Right to lodge a complaint. If you believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law, you have the right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
If you have any questions or other matters pertaining to the App’s data collection and processing, please direct them to:
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster/University of Münster (WWU), Institute for Geoinformatics
Data Protection Officer
+ 49 251 83-22446
16th of February, 2022